Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Posting photos of dinner

In today's Boston Globe Food Section, there was an article about posting your photos of dinner:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2014/12/09/food-styling-meals-for-instagram/mkf0mxeyXWBKQxONOkwIrK/story.html

I thought it was an interesting article, but now I want to share why I post my nightly meals (and baked goods).  As a working parent, I hear from many people how they are amazed that after a long day, I come home and cook a meal.  Adam and I both grew up with daily family dinners.  Sometimes we do eat a family dinner over a frozen meal or a take out meal, but the point of family dinner is to eat as a family.  We turn off all electronics, including the radio, the TV and no cell phones.  We have conversations about our day (best and worst part of everyone's day), politics, the weather, current events or other interesting things.  We talk and we discuss as a family (and we remind each other not to put huge GOBS of food in our mouths, or to use a fork or napkin).  That is the best part of family dinner.

The other reason why I post my meals, is that if I can do it, you can do it.  I have no known special powers that give me the ability to cook.  I take pride in what I cook, and if I can roll into the house at 5:40 PM, and have dinner ready at 6:45, so can you.  I don't cook a chicken that takes two hours to roast on a Monday night . . . . hamburgers and homemade sweet potato wedges.  Last night was homemade pizza.  Again, food that is able to be prepared while the kids do homework.  I walk into the house, and start to cook.  (If I sat down on the sofa, I would never get up.)

The baked goods are my passion.  I love to do it.  Some people love to bike.  Others love to sew.  I love to bake (and my husband cleans up my mess).

Another reason that I post what we eat nightly, is that my kids eat family dinner.  I cook one meal for everyone (okay, sometimes there is a chicken dish and a similar tofu dish).  At least once a week there is a meal on the table that each kid likes.  But, there is no alternate meal (unless the new dish I cooked is soooo horrible that we all have ice cream for dinner).  We started this rule years back . . . . I am not a short order cook, I am a mother and wife.  Eat what is served, and maybe the next meal you will like better.  Also, the kids have to try each food.  We all have to eat a balanced diet.  All of us.  I love asparagus, but my kids really like cauliflower.  I really don't like cauliflower, but I eat it.

Eating as a family is great.  It is scary to think that in September, 2020, my eldest will be away at college, and family dinners will be different with a family member not in attandence.

Cook a family dinner - once a week, but eat dinner as a family daily.

No comments: