Monday, November 8, 2010

Vegetarian Empanadas

A few years back, a new neighbor made homemade empanadas, that were out of this world. Of course, they were filled with meat, so my hubby couldn't try them. I kept saying how amazing they were!

Of course, I had to make them, and needed a recipe. I did find a recipe years back, that involved premade puff pastry dough! A blessing!!!!!

So, to make the empanada, you defrost the package of puff pastry for about 45 minutes (or an hour), and then start to make the filling, which is 3/4 cup of chopped onion, sauteed, and then mixed with a can of drained black beans, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour the onion and bean mixture into the food processor, and pulse (don't make cat food).

Roll out the dough, and cut into squares (I usually get nine squares out of a sheet). Put the a small dollop of filling onto the dough, then shred some cheese (cheddar for me), and then paint the edges with egg wash. Fold. Crimp. Put on a greased cookie sheet.

Put in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes (turning the pan once).

COOL or you will burn your tongue!

Serve with rice and a side veggie (asparagus is a favorite)

No comments: