Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11

Recently we had a conversation with the kids about September 11 . . . . and what happened that day and how the world changed. 

My kids had no idea that before September 11, that security at airports was different.

My kids had no idea that before September 11, one could carry a cup of coffee or a bottle of water through security.

My kids had no idea that before September 11, adults could keep on their shoes and belts.

My kids had no idea that before September 11, kids could look into the cockpit before take off.

We explained to the kids what happened physically on September 11 . . . about the four planes. . . the heroes that died in Pennsylvania.  We explained how two planes were from Boston.  We explained about the Pentagon.  We explained that thousands of people died in America on one day because someone else had planned this destruction.  We explained how air travel in  the United States was SHUT DOWN.

I also explained to Naomi for the first time about the boy who I went to school with . . . .  who died while working at the World Trade Center in Manhattan.  I explained to both kids that he never got a chance to get married and he never had a chance to become a dad, and coach his kids in youth soccer.  Erik would have loved that opportunity.  Erik was a kid I went to school with from fourth grade until we both graduated MHS.  Erik was a kid who smiled alot.  Erik was a kid who lived for soccer season. 

Today, I think about Erik and all the others who lost their lives while just doing every day things - typing on the computer, drinking coffee, flying in an airplane. . . . I think of the heroes who died in a field in Pennsylvania trying to save others.  I remember.  I won't ever forget.

It is hard that the kids think of this as a day of history . . . .  just as I had thought of Pearl Harbor as a day of history.  It isn't history.  I think about, not just today, but during times of the year.  Last year I thought about Erik alot, as I watched my daughter play soccer.

9/11 - a day that will not be forgotten by me and many others.

No comments: