Monday, May 2, 2022

Yotam Ottolenghi - In Person

 In February, 2020, my husband gave me two tickets to an upcoming talk with Yotam Ottolengi in Boston. I was so eager to hear him speak, as I am a big fan of his cookbooks. It is rare for me to have all of the cookbooks from one chef, but he is the ONE. I have made so many successful dishes from his cookbooks.

I also follow him on IG, and was delighted to see him dine at Oleana, which is one of my favorite Boston restaurants.

The original tour was supposed to be about this cookbook Flavor, however because Shelf Life was now his most recent cookbook, there was lots of discussion about this book. I do like his book Simple.

Here are my takeaways from his talk:

*  He has two children that also give him honest feedback about his meals that he prepares for them.

* If he could pick two spices and an herb that he was limited to he would pick cumin, allspice and cilantro. I had picked for him cumin, cinnamon and cilantro. His backup to allspice would have been cinnamon. 

* Hummus in Arabic means chickpea! 

* He gives credit to the chefs that work for him. He doesn't claim their dishes as his own.

It was a fabulous 90 minute talk, and if you are able to hear him speak, get tickets.


No comments: