Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Sweet and Sour Meatballs - A Weitzman Favorite

 I didn't make meatballs when the kids were younger. I am not a meatball lover, and didn't really care. But I have made this recipe for Passover and all year round. I can also make them with meat or with vegetarian balls.

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound of ground beef
  • 1/4 c. matzo meal
  • 1 t onion powder
  • 1 t dried oregano - from the Spice House
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 16 oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
  • 1 26 oz jar of marinara sauce (I use Paul Newman's)

Instructions:

In a pot over low heat, combine the cranberry sauce and the marinara sauce while you make the meatballs. Stir every once in a while.

In a bowl mix the beef, matzo meal, onion powder, oregano and egg. I use gloves to really get into the mixture. Form meatballs that are about 1-2 inches in diameter. Drop them into the sauce. Cover. Cook for 45 minutes. Test a meatball to confirm meat is done.


To make it vegetarian, I use either pre-formed balls or I take the "meat" and form my own.


No comments: