Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chickpea Bake - easy recipe

People are amazed when I say that I cook vegetarian for my vegetarian husband.  I don't think of it as a big deal.  I can handle cooking tofu and vegetables!  One of the simplest and easiest dishes I know is Chickpea Bake, and here is the recipe.

2 cans of chickpeas - open them, drain them, and rinse them off.  Drain off excess water;
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup - the real stuff - NOT the pancake syrup.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Get out a loaf pan, and spray PAM on the loaf pan.

In a large bowl, put the rinsed and drained chickpeas and cinnamon.  When you measure the maple syrup, spray PAM on the measuring cup and then measure the maple syrup.  Pour the measured syrup into the bowl.  Stir.

Pour into loaf pan.

Put into oven for 45 minutes.  Stir every 15 minutes.  PUT ON THE TIMER!!!!!  Yes, you can pick up a book and read, but if you don't put on a timer you won't remember to save the dish before it burns.

Serve

NOTE - goes well with a side of couscous and asparagus.

No comments: