Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lean In

I just finished Lean In.  While I thought it was a good read, I have to admit that many things left me wondering.  I think the book makes people (both men and women) about work-family balance.  What I have a hard time with is that right now the author's children are young.  I have a pre-teen son, and I can tell you that things get more complicated as the kids get older.  Sure, you can pay someone to pick up your child at daycare, but can you pay them to watch your son's little league game?  Can you pay someone to watch the school play?  Can you pay someone to be present in your child's parent teacher conference?  Yes, you can outsource many things (cleaning, cooking and childcare) however as children get older, they have other needs.  Of course every parents wants to be there for their children.

Do I have guilt about not volunteering in my child's classroom?  Yes.

Do I know that my children have great teachers?  Yes.

Do I know that I am organized enough to send my kids with lunch, snacks and the book order on the correct days?  Yes.

I really enjoy working.  I really LOVE my family.  I am balancing both.

But I know not all workers have the ability to work at home when their child is sick.  I also know that some people live in fear of losing their jobs because they stayed home with a sick child.  A waitress can not work from home.  A nurse can not work from home.  I am lucky that I can work from home when needed.

But she also needs to define what is success.  Success to many people is to become CEO or President, with the corner office.  But not everyone has that same definition of success.  Success is different and unique to each person. 

I am interested to read what others thought about Lean In.

Next up: Prisoner B 3087 - a book for fifth graders about surviving the Holocaust.  I let Mark read it first, however I am nearly done with it. . . . . I wonder what he thought about the whole thing.  Some parts were graphic and very sad.

No comments: