Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

I grew up listening to Cyndi Lauper.  I remember when I bought myself the "She's so Unusual" album (cassette).  I loved that album and sang "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" for HOURS at end.  There was no question in my mind when my husband came home one night telling me about Cyndi's 30th Anniversary of the album. . . . and the tour.  I had to GO!  I HAD TO. 

The concert was in New Bedford at the Zeiterion Theater. . . . yes you read that correctly.  It took an hour to get to the theater, but the theater is beautiful on the inside.  It is a small venue but wonderful.

Another surprise - over 50% of the crowd was either 65 or over.  I had no idea that Ms. Lauper would attract that age group.  I had imagined dancing with people my age, and yelling out the words of MONEY CHANGES EVERYTHING with people of my generation. 

There was an opening act - Harper Vallentine - nothing to write home about.  But Cyndi sang the WHOLE album.  And during the show she talked to us. . . . she told us how "hear the clock tick. . . . I think of you . . . . " and other lyrics.  At times it was very intimate.  Once during the show she started the song over again, because she was a beat off from the instruments.

The songs that she sang:

Money Changes Everything
Girls Just Want to Have Fun
When You Were Mine
Time After Time
She Bop
All Through the Night
Witness
I'll Kiss You
He's So Unusual
Yeah Yeah

The first encore was Sex Is in the Heel, and it was awesome. . . . but it was late. . . . I had to work the next day . . . . we were paying a baby sitter and I was still an HOUR away from the house. . . . and I heard EVERYTHING that I had wanted to hear.

Would I go back to the Zeiterion????  Yes. . . . but it would have to be for someone special and a good day of the week . . . . Getting back at midnight is rough for this under 65 person!

 

1 comment:

Cheryl Pollock Stober said...

It sounds a lot like the Tiffany and Debbie Gibson concert we went to at the North Shore Music Theater a couple years ago. I decided then and there that I only wanted to go to concerts from aging rockstars from then on, as they were so incredibly generous with their time and talent. I haven't exactly stuck to that thought, though! Glad you had fun!