Thursday, November 30, 2017

Pepper Pasta (Mario Batali's spaghetti cacio e pepe)

Last night was a night I cooked an old favorite for dinner.  I made my own pasta using my pasta maker.  I made spaghetti.

Ingredients:
1 T coarsely ground black pepper (freshly ground)
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c unsalted butter
1 pound of spaghetti
1/4 c freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (plus a little for serving for the dish)
1/4 c freshly grated pecorino romano
kosher salt

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 T of kosher salt.

In a large wok, over medium heat, add the pepper and toast for 15-20 seconds.  Add oil and butter and stir until melted.  Turn off heat.

Cook pasta (reserve 1/2 c of the pasta water) and drain.

Add 1/4 c of the pasta water to the oil and butter, and turn on heat to medium.  Add pasta and stir until the pasta is well coated.  Toss in the cheese and a splash of the water.  Serve with the Parmigiano cheese.

I serve with a side of asparagus or carrots.  If I can, I also add a side salad.

No comments: