Monday, April 11, 2022

Greek Salad

 I have been incorporating more salads into our family dinners. My daughter loves an "elaborate" salad, which really means, lots of interesting things into a typical green salad. She likes edamame, chickpeas, candied almonds and craisins. 

But the typical green salad was getting boring, as was Israeli Salad, which is another standard at my house.

Deborah Madison's Greek Salad from Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone:

2 cups of salad greens

2 ripe tomatoes (the recipe called for four, but two large ones were plenty)

1 large cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced (turns out my daughter prefers her cucumbers this way, as she doesn't like the "stuff" surrounding the seeds.)

1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced

8 pepperoncini

2 T capers, rinsed

12 green olives

4 oz feta cheese, and I like this cheese

1 t Greek oregano

1/3 cup coarsely chopped parley

Salt

Pepper

1 lemon, cut into wedges.

On a platter (I have always used a bowl for salads, but this method has inspired me) scatter the greens. Arrange the tomatoes, cucumber and peppers on the platter. Place the onion rings on top, and then place the pepperoncini, capers, olives and cheese around the platter.

Sprinkle the oregano and parsley over the salad.

Season with salt and pepper.

Garnish with lemon wedges.



No comments: