Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Snacks and Lunches

So this year, I now pack a lunch and a snack for Mark; and a lunch and a snack for Naomi. After years of packing lunches, you would think I have this down. But I don't. Naomi is not a big fan of sandwiches. I mean ALL sandwiches. She doesn't mind the stuffings, but she can leave the bread. And she does.

Mark for the most part of his career has eaten either peanut butter and fluff sandwiches or turkey sandwiches. He isn't that picky.

One sandwich that Naomi will eat (and of course Mark) is pastrami. So, I buy a pound of Kosher Pastrami at the supermarket, which both kids are loving. Of course they are getting protein (and more fat that I want), but they are eating it.

However, I like variety. So today's lunch is roasted chicken on the bone. Because they are going to afterschool, where there is a microwave, I am able to do this. I take the chicken off the bone, cut it up and put it in a microwave safe container. Mark likes to take vegetables with his lunch, so today he has some cucumber slices. Naomi, prefers fruit, so she has a big bunch of juicy red grapes.

Snack has gotten easier. The following items are okay for either kid: yogurt and or granola bars. Each one gets either a fruit or a vegetable with the yogurt or granola bar. But again, I like variety. This weekend I made zucchini muffins. Each one has a zucchini muffin, and loves it. Sometimes there a pretzels. Sometimes Pirates Booty.

Mark and Naomi prefer homemade baked goods, so each one for lunch has a chocolate chip brownie.

I hope when they pack snacks for their children, they put in as much thought and love as I do.

No comments: