Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Merry Christmas

It is no secret that I celebrate Rosh Hashana, Passover, Purim and Hanukkah.  I am tired of people trying to "secularize" Christmas.  It is CHRISTMAS!  It is a CHRISTMAS TREE!  People hang Christmas lights!  Santa doesn't visit our house, and we are okay with that.

Recently I went to American Girl to buy my niece a gift card for Hanukkah, and the sales person asked "Is this a holiday gift?"

I replied "It is a Hanukkah gift."

She hands me a gift card that says "Merry Holidays."

I politely returned the gift card and said I would take a plain one with no holiday greeting.  The saleswoman said that this happened alot.  I said that no one wishes anyone a Merry Hanukkah or a Merry New Year, and that Merry belongs with Christmas.  I am fine with getting the generic gift card.  But don't try to stick me in the Merry box.

Last year and this year we sent "Happy Holiday" cards because I can't order half Hanukkah and half Christmas photo cards.  To me, Happy Holidays is secular.  We make sure we don't get trees, reindeer or Santa on the cards.  Usually a generic winter theme covers it for me.

People ask me if I am offended by receiving a Christmas card. . . . nope.  Of course, I appreciate the Happy Hanukkah cards my friends send (and I know for many of them I know that I am one of the few Hanukkah cards).  However, I appreciate the card. . . . I love receiving mail and I love seeing my friend's families on the cards.  I hang the Christmas cards right next to the Hanukkah cards. 

Please don't wish me a Merry Hanukkah.  :) Please pass the latkes and apple sauce.   And for dessert I will have a Christmas Jo Jo from Trader Joe's.

No comments: