Thursday, April 30, 2015

My Grandma's Birthday Cake

I loved my grandma.  I loved sleeping at her house, and I loved spending time with her and my grandfather.  My grandfather was a joker.  As a child, when I slept at their house, more times than not, he would short sheet my bed, which I thought was hilarious!  Sometimes I got the fly spoon and sometimes my brother did.  Nothing beat the time, when I was three, and I told my grandmother that there was a "B" in my soup (that she had made just for me).  She was horrified.  She came running and I showed her my "B" and she was relieved it was not a "bee."

There are many lasting memories of my grandparents, but one that I get to share with my family is her Chocolate Cake with Mocha Frosting.  Grandma kept kosher which meant no dairy desserts after a meat dinner.  So, for birthday celebrations her cake was dairy free, but delicious!  I share with you her recipe, which is now passed to the fourth generation.

CAKE
1 stick parve margarine (can use butter if desired)
1 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 can of Hershey's syrup (16 oz)
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350.  Prepare two nine inch round cake pans (lined with wax paper and covered with Pam with flour).  Cream margarine and sugar.  Add eggs.  Add chocolate syrup and vanilla.  Add flour and baking powder.  Mix, and then pour into the two nine inch round pans.  Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Cool in pan for 5 min, then cool on wire racks.

ICING
1/4 parve margarine
1 T flour
4 T cocoa
2 1/2 c powdered sugar
4 T hot coffee
1 tsp vanilla

Cream margarine.  Add in flour, cocoa and vanilla.  Blend in sugar and coffee, alternating, but ending with sugar.  Beat until light and fluffy.



No comments: