Thursday, February 18, 2010

How Many People Does it Take to Repair a Street Light?

On January 21, I reported to the City that there was a broken street light at the corner of X and Y. The representative at the DPW said that it should be fixed in 7-10 days. SUPER! Because it is really dark there now.

On February 4, I contacted the City again . . . . and the same rep said that they would look into this light. No response back . . .

On Feb. 8 I emailed her again. Nothing from her.

On Feb. 12 I emailed her again. No response.

On Feb. 17, I called the DPW. The rep on the phone said that X (the original rep) was not in today, and I should call back the next day, because she can't access the computer (?????)

Today I call the DPW. The original rep is not in today either, and was told to call back tomorrow. I asked if I could check the status of a light repair. The new rep. said that she could do that. . . . great.

Guess what. She found NO record of my original request. She asked if she could enter it into the system, and I said, yes. I then requested to speak to her supervisor, letting her know that I was not upset at her.

Got the voicemail of the supervisor. "Hi this is X. I am in and out of the office sporadically. (No dates mentioned). Please let a message, or call back the main number."

Now, if I was treated like this by a company, you can be sure I would take my business somewhere else. But, it is the city, and I am stuck. I just want the street light repaired.

And hey, if the original rep. had told me it was a three month wait, I would have believed her! But, she said 7-10 days. I am on day #28. Will keep you posted.

No comments: