Friday, August 8, 2014

Muffins and Breads

It is harvest season in Boston!  If you have a garden, you should be enjoying tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini.  And, if you don't have a garden (like me), either you are loving the farmers markets, or can't wait for friends to bring you the over flow!

The other day a friend brought me two good sized zucchini and a zucchini that could be used for a bat at Fenway park.  I grilled up the smaller two, and knew what I was going to do with the baseball bat!  Zucchini bread!  And it made a double batch - FIVE small breads and 36 glorious muffins!

Zucchini Bread
This recipe was given to me by my mom. When I was little we grew zucchini's in the garden, and they looked like baseball bats. Here is one way to use alot of zucchini (especially if you make two or three batches).

It is dairy free!

3 cups zucchini (NOT peeled, ends cut off)
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 cups sugar
3 large eggs
4 t vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 /2 t. baking powder
4 1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 c nuts (chopped walnuts or chopped pecans) (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Don't over mix. Pour into well greased loaf pans.  Bake at 350 for 70 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick.  (If making muffins, bake for 18-22 minutes, and check for doneness with a toothpick.)
 

 

No comments: