Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Cookbook Flipping

Some nights, I like to curl up with a cookbook and read each page.  I like to revisit the recipes that I have made (and the notes I have put on the page), and I like to post it note other recipes that look good to me.  I go in phases, and I don't seem to be in sync with the seasons.  In summer, I crave cherries and strawberries. . . . but I also crave those types of recipes in the summer too!  I love looking at how different cooks design a mozzarella and tomato salad, which is one of my favorite salads of all times.  Do you add olive oil?  Do you add fresh basil?  How does each component work with each other?

There are some nights that I look at my specialty cookbooks and review what I have made.  One of the cookbooks I really like is the "Ultimate Brownie Book" by Bruce Weinstein.  Sooo many different options, and so many notes.  One of my favorite things about my cookbook, is that many of the books open to a tried and true recipe, complete with notes - "Adam loved" or "needs 10 less minutes in the oven."  Or, when the book is so tried and true, there are food particles stuck to the page.  Tomato sauce on my lasagna recipe! 

Sometimes while flipping through the books, I find a new recipe, and it is a complete success.  Complete success in my book is when all four family members give it a thumbs up, and a make again.  Talk about success!  The icing on the cake is when it is an easy recipe too!

Maybe tonight will be one of those nights that I find a new favorite recipe.

No comments: