Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Less than a year away

So in addition to my normal parental duties (making meals, doing laundry, cleaning house), my new hat is planning a Bar Mitzvah for my first born.  It has hit me that on May 30, 2015 our friends and family will be in Boston for this great occasion. 

Sure, two years ago, I booked the stuff . . . . I booked the venue for the Saturday night party.  I booked the caterer for Friday night dinner.  I booked the photographer for the occasion.  And the DJ for Saturday night. . . . . and then we got the email . . . the Bar Mitzvah was one year out, and we had to start weekly lessons!!! 

As a super organized person, I then started to think, I need to break this job into separate tasks and make a timeline for ME.  I am the person responsible for this.

In June, 2014, I researched the various hotels around me, and asked friends for recommendations.  After a bit, we visited a hotel and reserved a "block" of rooms and sent the email to friends and family.  Yes, it is really happening!  My mom tested the block and it worked!  She has a room reservation.

Before the boy left for overnight camp, we talked about the invite list, the color scheme and a potential invite list.  I have a draft of the invite list, that I did in Excel.   I have columns galore in this spreadsheet:  Names, Formal Names, Addresses, Emails, Out of Towners, Hospitality Bag, Kid Count, Adult Count, and many more.  And I am busy updating this list with family members sending me updates.  When do I update the list?  After 9 PM!!  Once I get a hold of the family computer.

My next steps are to contact the Saturday evening venue to take another tour (to remember what the place looked like) and meet with the caterer about Friday and Saturday night meals.  Meanwhile, the boy, is having his weekly lessons at Jewish overnight camp.

Organization is going to be important to having a great Bar Mitzvah weekend.


No comments: