Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Visiting Day - Overnight Camp

It still seems unreal.  I sent my baby away to overnight camp for SEVEN weeks.  My baby!  Of course, my baby is 12 years old, and BEGGED for this treat.  It seems like yesterday we dropped him off for the first day of daycare.  It seems like yesterday that he had his first day of Meadowbrook Day Camp in Weston, MA.  However, this is my baby's third summer at CYJ in New Hampshire.

During the summer of 2011, we looked at different overnight camps for him.  He had asked to go, and I did not want him to go.  I was his mom and I am the best person to care for him - just ask me!  So after looking, we decided on CYJ, and he spent three and a half weeks there in 2012.  At pick up, in July, 2012, he asked "Can I go for season next summer?"  My automatic answer was NO.  I missed him too much.

During the summer of 2013, he again went three and a half weeks, and again, the first question in the car at pick up was "Can I go for season next summer?"  Ummmmmmm, I said.  I would think about, and I did.  I talked to the director and friends.  It seems natural that after kids experience the amazing awesomeness at camp, that they would want more camp.

So, for the summer of 2014, I (a day camp flunkie) signed my son up for seven weeks of overnight camp.  Drop off went well, and then he was off.  We just had visiting day, and my kid was beaming with happiness.  I don't remember seeing him so happy!  We spent a little over four hours with him, and there was no arguing, there was no sibling fighting. . . . there was happiness.  And when it was time to say good bye, it was okay.  I knew he was happy at camp, and he would be okay without me for another three and a half weeks.

And here is my souvernier from visiting day:  Happiness

No comments: