Friday, September 5, 2014

Moms and Dads

The other day I was reading a post on FB from a friend. . . . and he went on to thank his (working out of the home) wife for making sure his two kids had lunches, school supplies, school clothes and shoes and he didn't have to lift a finger.

Now, that really stuck with me.  It really bothered me.  Great, he thanked his wife.  BUT, wouldn't it be great if he realized during the summer that summer was going to end and that things would need to be acquired for the school year for his two kids?  My husband isn't that guy.  However, my husband is married to me, who realizes such things and we divided the list.  School supplies are purchased through the PTO (THANK YOU ANGIER PTO and BROWN PTO).  However shoe shopping is not my favorite thing, and to have to do with my two great kids is tough. 

My husband and I go to the Barn, in Newton, where my husband got his back to school shoes, as a kid.  I assist my daughter with the vast array of choices and my husband helps my son with the boys selection.  Each kid gets sneakers, synagogue shoes and my daughter gets a pair of school shoes.  This year and last year the Barn didn't have my son's shoes, and both years my husband drives himself and our son to Nordstrom's to buy the shoes.  I didn't have to ask.  Adam, as a parent, understands, that it is NOT my SOLE responsibility as the female parent to "gather" school supplies. 

It just bothers me that only ONE parent in the poster's house not only thought about the supplies but also had to gather them.  Just because one parent is female, that does not mean that parent won the lottery of buying all back to school items for the kids.

No comments: