Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Movie Reviews

This weekend we had some time, and Adam and I got to watch two movies.

The first movie was the Jewish Cardinal, which I recommend if you don't mind reading subtitles.  A Jewish Polish boy converts to Catholicism during WWII.  His mother is eventually killed at Auschwitz.  His father never forgives his son for his conversion.  What makes the Cardinal so interesting is that he never forgets he is Jewish.  In fact, he says he is Jewish and Catholic.  It was interesting to watch him rise in the Catholic Church and eventually become Catholic.  His relationship with his father is strained, even at his father's death.

The biggest professional challenge he faces is when nuns settle in Auschwitz, and how he has to work through the peace process between the Jewish People (in Europe) and the Polish people and the Church. 

The other movie we watched this weekend was Black Fish, about orca's held in captivity.  One of my high school classmates recommended the movie after I returned from Sea World, and I know why she recommended it.  It is very one sided, however after the movie ended, I felt as though orca's should not be held in captivity and the history of this is strong.  Orcas have strong family ties, and watching the whales in the wild as their family member is carried away is amazing.  And then later on, as a female orca mourns the separation of her calf - after viewing this movie, you can see the grief.  The same grief a human has, and the management of Sea World for separating family, when they know orcas have a strong sense of family is terrible. 

SeaWorld was a place that I took my family, but after this, I won't be saving my pennies for another SeaWorld visit.  I see why people like to visit SeaWorld, but I hope in the future the treatment of orcas and other animals is better.

No comments: