Friday, November 14, 2014

Gluten!

Last night was one of those nights, that I just had to bake!  Of course, I also had to attend a 7 PM meeting about the local elementary school!

Dinner - Once I got home, I started making my homemade pizza dough.  I was making pizza for dinner.  People ask why I make my own dough.  First, it is really good and really easy.  Second, it probably is cheaper and third I know exactly what is in the pizza dough - flour, water, salt, sugar and yeast.  That is it.  Nothing else.  One plain cheese pizza and one pizza with cheese, olives, sliced orange grape tomatoes and sliced orange pepper.

THEN, I put the ingredients in the bread machine to make challah.  Yes, my family loves challah, and baking it on Thursday night allows my family to have fresh challah on Friday night.  And if you work with me, you know I never have any leftovers by Monday.  The challah is gone by Saturday night. 

And then Smitten Kitchen published a new recipe.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/11/pretzel-parker-house-rolls/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+smittenkitchen+%28smitten+kitchen%29

And I had to try it!  Mixed that up.  Ate the pizza with the kids, and while the challah and pretzel rolls were rising, I could attend my 30 minute meeting.

Once I returned home, I shaped the challah and let it rise.  I continued to work on the pretzel rolls, and allowed that to rise again.  Then I put the challah in the oven, and 25 minutes later I had a beautiful challah.  Then I worked on the rolls again, and popped them into the oven. 

Once the rolls came out of the oven, I knew I had a successful recipe.  I could not wait to cut into the rolls.  I also know if I don't wait, I will only burn my mouth.  So I waited.  So glad I did!

Delicious!

Covered them up, and then in the morning allowed each kid to have a roll.  They also declared it two thumbs up good!

No comments: