Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Bar Mitzvah

So after years of planning our family celebrated my son becoming a Bar Mitzvah.  And it was a marvelous event!  I do have to say.  He did a beautiful job chanting the Torah and the Haftorah.  He delivered his dvar (speech) beautifully.  It was a day that we all smiled and felt good.  Years of hard work paid off for him (and us).  The service was beautiful, and our daughter sang Ashrei like a pro. 

And the party was great also - the details really came through to me.

What were the best parts for me?

1.  One of the rabbi's took the four of us into the study before the service, so have a family moment, which included a prayer from her, and then Adam and I said a prayer over Mark.  We stood as a family unit, and we were all smiles.  It was such a moment, that our synagogue builds into the day.  I had no idea how fast the three hour service would fly by, and having that moment was really special for us.

2.  Watching Mark chant a really long aliyah of the Torah.  Watching Mark chant in front of hundreds of people.  Watching him being confident reading, and chanting, and not losing his place.  And in fact, his whole body was at rest at that very moment.  And of course us watching him with an immense sense of price.

3.  Having friends and family come from near and far to share this special moment with us.  Having my cousins from Oregon fly out for their first Bar Mitzvah, meant so much to me and to Mark.  Having them in the row behind us and hearing them throw the candy at Mark when he was done with his part.  And having my Uncle and Aunt from Florida and my cousins from Ohio all be there with us.  Knowing that they were with me growing up, and now having them with me at my son's Bar Mitzvah.  A feeling of being together.  Having my brother, his wife and two kids participate with us, and having my niece sit with us during the service with Naomi.  Having friends there that were at my Bat Mitzvah and Adam's friends that were at his Bar Mitzvah.  Having friends attend that had never attended a Bar Mitzvah. 

4.  Watching my daughter shine while chanting Ashrei.  Another proud moment.

5.  Standing next to my son with my husband as the rabbi delivered a prayer for him in front of everyone.

6.  Our guests feeling welcome at the temple.  Our guests feeling how included we all feel within the shul.

7.  Watching my niece and my daughter plan a sleepover together during the weekend.

8.  Watching at the party, all the details all come together - the flip book, the t shirts for the kids, the food, the color scheme.

9.  Watching my son shine with his friends.

10.  Hearing from congregants that Mark's dvar made a difference to them.

11.  Watching my friends carry Mark in the chair during the Horah, and knowing that he wanted this moment so much.  (And knowing that when I was in the chair, Mark knew I was doing this for him.  I hate that chair.)

12.  Hearing from people who participated in the Candle Lighting how surprised they were to be invited to light a candle.  Mark took this part very seriously and having his friends and family together were so important.

Mark on the chair during the Horah.  Wearing a huge, natural smile.

Mark with his day camp friends.

More posts to come later and of course more photos to come later.

No comments: