Friday, July 17, 2015

While the kids are at camp

Dear Kids,

I hope all is well at camp.  I can see that you are having a lot of fun.  Swimming, arts and crafts, sports, trip day, mitzvah day and Israeli Dancing!  So much fun!

I have sent emails and letters nearly daily.  I have come home every day hoping for a letter from at least one of you.

But there are somethings I haven't included in the letters (and one day you will find this blog post.)

I haven't cooked one meal since you were gone.  That is right, your mom, the cook and the baker has had a 3.5 week vacation (except for one batch of brownies, two batches of cold gazpacho and one salad), I haven't cooked.  What a feeling that has been after 13 years of cooking meals.  Of course, the fridge is bare.  I have purchased fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, cream, coffee beans and cereal.  We haven't starved either.

We have been to:
Otto's pizza in Brookline
Bondir in Cambridge
Ana's Taqueria in Brookline
Boacado in Wellesley
Three Squares (I went with friends)
Barcelona in Brookline (I went with friends)
Carmine's in the North End
The Biscuit in Somerville
Vinebrook Tavern in Lexington
Farmstead Table in Newton
Besito in Chestnut Hill
Sweet Green in Chestnut Hill
The Antique Table in Swampscott/Lynn

I have stayed in bed past 7 AM on Saturdays and Sundays.  Even if I am awake, I watch TV.  In fact one weekend I watched a movie in bed, in my PJ's before breakfast.  It was decadent!  We have seen Jurassic World without needing a baby sitter!  We watched the entire season three of HOUSE OF CARDS.

We went to the SOWA market and ate whatever we wanted, and purchased really cool things.  We then ate at the food trucks (actually we ate at the same one, so we only had to stand in one line).  We then came home, and watched the World Cup of Women's Soccer.  And we ate dinner (lots of interesting things from the SOWA market) in front of the TV on the SOFA!

Of course, you also missed the time that the hot water heater broke, and we had to take a cold shower before the plumber could fix it.

You also missed the neighborhood BBQ, but there weren't that many kids there.  You missed a Red Sox game on July 4.  We went to the U2 concert in Boston without you, and had a great, great time.  You missed out on my car accident (when the person in back of me rear ended me twice at a RED light).

I have only done laundry once a week, instead of my usual every other night!  Of course, I had to bring out the trash cans and bring them back, since you were at camp.  I had to empty the dish washer myself.  Mark wasn't available to do laundry!

We missed you terribly, and we missed the daily conversation of BEST and WORST.  We missed hearing Mark's trombone playing.

I am looking forward to camp pick up/visiting day.  I know that you are both having a great time!  You are missed, but life is a bit different without two kids.

Love,
Mom

No comments: