Wednesday, January 22, 2014

NYC

So, what did I want for my birthday this year????  I wanted a weekend away from laundry, cooking, cleaning and I wanted to go to NYC.  Sure, we have been to NYC before . . .  stay in CT and DRIVE into the city and cut the day short.  This time I wanted to do it the TOURIST way.

Started the vacation on a FRIDAY night and drove the kids to my parents house, which usually takes an hour.  It took nearly TWO hours.  But I was still gearing up for vacation. 

Saturday once, we arrived in NYC it was time to LIVE IT UP!!!!  We checked into the hotel (finding a lovely bottle of wine from our friends) and parked the car.  Once we parked the car on 56th Street we WALKED up to 93rd Street to visit the Jewish Museum.  It was 25 degrees outside and the line went around the block and did not move quickly.  Decided that I would skip it and we walked to the Guggenheim.  Took a look at the WOOL exhibit, which wasn't my taste, but still loved the building and the permanent art work!

Walked BACK to the hotel on W 57th Street and rested up for dinner.  Took my FIRST NYC Subway ride to Clarkson's and ate the most delicious meal.  My favorite part of the meal was the soft and creamy polenta, served with a sunny side up duck egg and shaved truffle and Parmesan cheese!  That was the best thing I ate in NYC!!!!!!

On Sunday we woke up and left the hotel to walk to the bakery Le BOUCHON, which is near the NBC studios.  Did I say it was cold???  The baked goods were delicious. . . . the coffee was not that great.  Then we walked up Park Ave and Madison Avenue and eventually made it to the MET.

At the MET we saw the Venetian glass exhibit, the guitar exhibit and the American Wing.  Then we went back to the Jewish Museum, and we got in (the reason for the line on Saturday is that admission is free).  We saw an AMAZING Art Spegielman exhibit and a wonderful Chagall exhibit along with the permanent exhibit.

Then we walked through Central Park and ended at the Plaza.  We had to go through the Eloise store and then stopped for coffee and pastry in the basement of the Plaza.  Then back to the hotel, to rest up before dinner at Clearwater on Hudson.

On Monday we checked out of the hotel and had breakfast at the Brooklyn Diner.  A place, where I would not return . . . . the prices were pricey and the food was average. . . . . and then Jerry Seinfeld sat down at the both behind me. . . . things changed!  I could hear his voice!  It was like I was on location!!!!!!  No one was surprised to see Jerry eating there. . . . it was an every day thing for people in the diner.

Then we walked to Dylan's Candy Shop, FAO Schwartz and did some serious window shopping along Madison!!!!!  Our weekend was coming to an end, and it was time go get the car, and start dreaming of my next NYC weekend . . . . but next time with the kids.